A store’s window display can make all the difference to someone walking past, urging them to walk in and experience all the store has to offer. Seasonally decorated gelato has the same alluring effect. Be it Easter, Mother’s Day or the 4th of July, gelato decorated to the nines for that month’s festive holiday inevitably increases store traffic as curious eyes are drawn inside.
Make your display case engaging and amusing for customers. Have fun with it, and give customers something to look at that will allow them to delight in the season and holiday. Think outside the box. It’s actually very simple to gather edible decorations during the different holidays. Grocery stores and other specialty food stores begin stocking up on their holiday-themed treats and candy selections far in advance. When out and about, stock up on colorful sprinkles and frosting that can be used all year ’round. Check out culinary Web sites for inspiration, drawing from cake, cookie and cupcake decorating tips – think of creative ways to apply them to gelato.
Through it all, don’t forget what’s most important to your bottom line — your customers. Their experiences throughout the year’s holiday seasons will inspire them to frequently visit and check out the new things you are featuring in your store.
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, here are some simple decorating tips to get you ready. And be sure to check out www.pregelamerica.com for even more creative decorating ideas.
- Separate 5–8 large fresh strawberries, with leaves intact.
- Place strawberry on a cutting board, leaf side down. Using a utility knife, start at the bottom of the strawberry and make 4 equal half-circle cuts around the strawberry, cutting halfway down without severing by peeling or cutting just the outside part of the strawberry.
- Repeat step two until reaching the top of the strawberry.
- Using the knife carefully fan out the thin cuts, so that it looks like a flower.
- Place blueberries, chocolate swirls, candy-coated chocolate pieces or other small candies inside the opened center.
- Using a silicon brush, light glaze the strawberry from bottom to top with PreGel Geloglass, which allows the strawberry to stay fresh for a long period of time inside the display case.
- Prepare PreGel Happy Torte according to the label directions.
- Once created, fill a pastry piping bag 1/2 full with Happy Torte.
- On a cookie sheet, pipe several spirals of Happy Torte, beginning at the outer edge and working inward, 1–2 inches apart. Squeeze Happy Torte out of the bag using your palm and fingers. Control the tip end with the other hand to keep a steady flow of product.
- Place candy hearts, mini candy-coated chocolate pieces or even colorful sprinkles on top of each Happy Torte swirl.
- Place cookie sheet in the freezer for one hour or blast freezer for 30 minutes, allowing the Happy Torte swirls to slightly harden before using to decorate gelato.
Tip: Before decorating, place gelato in freezer so it’s firm and resistant to melting as you decorate.
- Top gelato with PreGel Fragolissima Arabeschi®.
- Place strawberry roses and Happy Torte candy pieces throughout gelato as you desire.
- Place in blast freezer or display case immediately following decoration.