What are the basic ingredients in gelato?Gelato is made up of liquid(s) and solid raw ingredients, stabilizers, emulsifiers, flavor ingredients, air, and other ingredients.
- Liquid Raw Ingredients: Water, milk, etc.
- Solid Raw Ingredients: Sugars, fats, Milk Solids Non-Fat (MSNFs)
- Stabilizers: Guar Gum, locust bean gum, etc.
- Emulsifiers: Mono- and di-glycerides
- Flavor Ingredients: Pastes, powders
- Other Ingredients: Other ingredients: Mineral salts, cocoa products, dry fruit, toppings and fillings PreGel’s distinct flavoring pastes are then added.
What is a Base?PreGel Bases are well-balanced essential ingredients in powdered form that promote the highest quality flavor, texture, and ease-of-use for gelato and ice cream production. The base is pivotal for creating a velvety structure and texture that allows for desirable creaminess and softness.
What is a Stabilizer?There are two types of stabilizers used in gelato and ice cream. One comes from animal sources and the most commonly used is gelatin or eggs. The other stabilizer is a vegetable source such as carrageenan, guar gum and locust bean gum. Stabilizers are used in gelato and ice cream for a variety of reasons, as they increase viscosity, improve the smoothness of the product body, and prevent ice crystal formation and melting.
What is Arabeschi®?PreGel Arabeschi® is a topping and filling for gelato, sorbetto, ice cream, frozen yogurt, soft serve, pastry, and beverages. As a topping, it is used to enhance the decoration of desserts. As a filling, it adds extra flavor and textural components to desserts or savory items. Our Arabeschi® line encompasses a variety of flavors including rich milk and dark chocolate, as well as selectively sourced nut and fruit varieties.
What is the difference between Hot and Cold Process?Hot Process requires the heating of liquids, whereas Cold Process does not. To find out more about these different processes, attend one of our training classes.
How much flavor paste do I need to use?The amount of flavor paste for a standard 5-liter pan varies by recipe. PreGel hosts a helpful recipe database, where a variety of recipe books can be downloaded. You can also request that your dedicated sales consultant or special services representative email your desired recipe book choice. For special batches, please contact our International Training Centers.
What is the stocking temperature?The stocking temperature in a freezer should be around -17.8˚C/-0.04˚F
What temperature does gelato have to be once it comes out of the batch freezer?Temperatures should range between -7.8˚ to -5˚C/18˚F to 23˚F. At this point just 50-60 percent of water is frozen.
How long can I keep my gelato in the display case for?We suggest anywhere from 3-5 days, however, this answer can slightly vary depending on various factors during preparation and if you are storing your gelato in a freezer overnight. A longer shelf-life may be achieved by preparing your gelato via Hot Process.
How do you present gelato?There are three ways to present gelato. We suggest sculpted, flat, or mounds, and always showcased in a 5-liter pan. Gelato generally comes out of the batch freezer in a very natural way, and does not require much pressing or pushing. The result should be a very harmonious form.
How do you serve gelato?Gelato is served with spades or spatulas, which allow for it to take on more of an artisan appearance.
Do you decorate gelato?Absolutely! Gelato is considered an artisan dessert which means the decoration is a large part of the whole ambiance of the gelato experience. PreGel’s Arabeschi® and Toppings are both used to decorate the finished product. Additionally, PreGel's molds can be used to create mouthwatering gelato frozen pops, and more.
How long will my PreGel products last?PreGel products have a shelf-life of 2-3 years once produced – whether it’s been opened or not has no bearing on the shelf-life. Although, remember to keep products well-sealed and do not keep in extreme temperatures, as both can shorten the life span and reduce the quality of the product. The expiration date indicated on your packaging is in European form, which is day/month/year. If you have questions on the product life, contact our Special Service Team.
What should I do if a Paste, Arabeschi® or Topping begins to separate (oil from paste)?This is generally true for most nut and chocolate products, as they carry natural oils within. To prevent separation, occasionally mix it like a soup. Shake toppings well.
What is the nutritional content for my product?PreGel can only provide nutritional information for our ingredient solutions. If you want to assess the nutritional content for the finished product you provide, we recommend that you partner with a local testing lab that can accurately provide nutritional information on your product.
At what temperature should ingredients be stored?All products should be stored between 15-20˚C/60-68˚F, with a relative humidity of 65% or less for best results.
Is there a fee for PreGel's International Training Centers classes?PreGel America charges a single registration fee per person for participation in each class, in the following designated amounts:
- $95 One Day Course
- $105 Two Day Course
- $130 Three Day Course
What is the cancellation/refund policy for the general Training Center classes?PreGel reserves the right to cancel any class for any reason. In the event of a cancellation, PreGel will either transfer the registration fee for registered attendee(s) to a future class, or PreGel will refund the full registration fee to the registered attendee(s). PreGel is not responsible for any travel costs incurred due to class cancellations. Please note: registered students must contact PreGel to cancel their attendance in a general class a minimum of two (2) days/48 hours in advance in order to get a full refund. Refunds will not be available for registrants who choose not to attend a class without prior notification.
When and where are the trainings? Do you do trainings at customer locations?To view our current class offerings, click here. Also, check our Events section for off-site demos as well. Additionally, we are very flexible and want to help our customers, so call our International Training Centers to see about scheduling special visits to our facility at 704 707 0300. Our dedicated sales consultants can offer more information about on-site visits to customer locations.
What kind of information can you supply to help me start a successful gelato business?Incorporated into the training curriculum, PreGel offers several tools designed to help you launch a successful gelato business. Our training can provide direction when devising your pricing configuration, structuring your initial investment, establishing general employee guidelines, and so much more. View the current schedule for our International Training Centers or call our Special Service Team to learn more at 704 707 0300.
Where are your International Training Centers located?PreGel hosts a network of International Training Centers worldwide. Below are the U.S. locations: International Training Center – Charlotte
4450 Fortune Avenue NW Concord, NC 28027 Tel: 704 707 0300 Fax: 704 707 0301 Toll Free: 866 977 3435 firstname.lastname@example.org
International Training Center – Los Angeles 116 S Brent Circle Walnut, CA 91789 Tel: 909 598 7288 email@example.com
International Training Center – Ft. Lauderdale 1475 W Cypress Creek Rd. Suite 205 Ft. Lauderdale , Florida 33309 Tel: 954 908 1535 firstname.lastname@example.org
International Training Center – Chicago (PreGel entrance located on Jarvis Avenue) 915 Busse Road, Elk Grove Village, Illinois, 60007 Tel: 847-258-4743 Tel: 847-258-3725 email@example.com
How do I track my shipment?The easiest way to track your shipment is to locate the tracking number found on your invoice that we both email and mail to you. Then, go to the website of the carrier. Once you’re on the site, there should be a section where you can enter your tracking number and the website should give you the progress of your shipment. If you are unable to access the Web or are having problems, please call us directly at 704 707 0300 and make sure you have your order number accessible.
What should I know about PreGel's shipping guidelines?PreGel America serves as the distribution center for North America. To efficiently serve our market, we have a warehouse located in Los Angeles, CA, and a warehouse in Concord, NC, which also supports our PreGel Canada, PreGel Mexico and PreGel America Latina subsidiaries. We work with various shipping companies to ensure the best possible pricing for our customers.
Domestic Shipping Guidelines
- It is PreGel's policies that all orders will be shipped within three business days.
- Shipping times may vary based on the customer's location, order volume, availability, inclement weather, peak seasons and annual holidays. Please allow 3-7 business days to receive your shipment.
- Standard shipping methods are UPS Ground, and other LTL Carriers, unless otherwise specified.
- To qualify for prepaid freight (ground shipping with no additional services requested) the following criteria must be met:
- Order total must be a minimum of $1,500.00 after applying all discounts (if applicable).
- Entire order must ship to one destination (no split shipments).
- Order must be shipped within the continental U.S. (excluding Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and Guam).
- Inside delivery
- Lift gate service
- Redirection (address change)
- Residential delivery
- Call notifications
- Sorting and Segregation service (Lumper Fee)
- Guaranteed time delivery services
International Shipping Guidelines
- The customer will be responsible for providing and procuring a freight company that specializes in food shipment to the country they plan to ship to, as well as a customs broker.
- The customer must provide PreGel America with the proper information and documentation to ensure that the product arrives in a timely manner at their freight forwarder.
- PreGel America will assist with document procurement, but is not liable for any delays and costs for shipments that are held in port because of misinformation, and/or improper documentation.
Tracking Your ShipmentEach invoice you receive from PreGel America will include the tracking information for your shipment. This is usually provided to you within 1 business day after your order has shipped. You may track your order by visiting the carrier's website. Should you need assistance, please do not hesitate to call us. Delivery Inspect your shipment at the time of arrival. Make sure to notate any damaged or missing items on the bill of lading (delivery slip). Remember to review before you sign. If you have any questions regarding any of these policies, or need further clarification, please feel free to contact your Special Service Team Representative or Sales Representative. You can reach us toll-free at 866-977-3435.
How do I make my first order?Our sales consultants are divided by regions, so click here to locate and contact them either via phone or email, and they will be excited to help walk you through your first order.
How do I go about getting my credit/terms?In order to apply for credit with PreGel America, a Special Service Team representative will fax, email or send a credit application. The application MUST be completed in FULL. (Note: The Trade Reference section has to be completed, including ALL of the fields: vendor name, vendor address, vendor phone and vendor fax. If you have an account number with the vendor, please include that as well.) Credit Application must be completed with a minimum of three valid credit references. If credit is not applied for, terms are considered prepay. Upon completion, send back to PreGel America and we will proceed with processing your application by requesting credit history (this can take 5-10 days). PreGel America will then review all of the information and history provided and you will be informed of the decision. This whole process takes approximately 14 days. The following are credit guidelines for new and existing PreGel America, Inc. customers:
- Any order over $1,500 gets free shipment
- Standard shipping method is FedEx or UPS Ground & LTL carrier
- Shipping arrangements to be made at time of order - Inside delivery, lift gate service and residential delivery charges are the customer's responsibility
Credit LimitsNew customers - credit limits will be approved based on the above standard terms, the amount of the sale and the credit worthiness of the customer. Credit worthiness is determined by the best available credit information including, but not limited to, D & B ratings, credit information supplied by the customer and confirmed by their vendors and other information supplied to the sales department. Existing customers - credit limits will be reviewed semi-annually by the Accounting Department (controller and accounts receivable specialist). The limits will be revised as necessary based on customer orders, customer credit worthiness and any other information available. For those customers that exceed 60 days past due, the sales representative will be notified to enlist their help in collection efforts. Accounts over 60 days will automatically go on hold and any future orders must be prepaid and get accounting approval to ship. Unsuccessful attempts at collection will result in a default account and will be turned over to a collection agency.
PreGel America Returns, Damages, and Replacement PoliciesEffective October 2016
Returns GuidelinesPreGel America is committed to 100% customer satisfaction. However, we understand there are situations that may cause you to return or not accept your purchase. Our policy for these occasions is as follows:
- An RMA number must be obtained before returned product will be accepted. Once reported, an RMA number will be provided to you.
- Products that are returned without an RMA number will not be refunded.
- Products that are brought to one of our warehouse for return will be refused without an RMA number.
- Returns must be reported (via phone, email, or fax) within 5 business days of the receipt of goods. – No Exceptions.
- Returns must consist of the full case amount, with the contents remaining unopened. Partial cases are not accepted and will not be refunded. – No Exceptions.
- Once reported, the customer will have (30) days from the date of delivery to return said items. We will not accept any returns after 30 days – No Exceptions.
- The cost and method of return is the customer’s financial responsibility, unless the returned items were shipped in error.
- A call tag will be issued to pick up the undesired return items. The customer is financially responsible for each service request. The cost of this service will be deducted from the final credit.
- If items were shipped in error, PreGel will be financially responsible for the cost of the initial call tag.
- Each call tag issued consists of 3 pickup attempts. After the 3 attempts have been made, the call tag will expire.
- Returns for unwanted items or items ordered in error are subject to a 10% restocking fee.
- Damages must be reported (via phone, email, or fax) within 5 business days of the receipt of goods – No Exceptions.
- Any noticed damaged must be noted at the time of delivery. Please notify the driver immediately of any suspected damages, BEFORE you sign.
- The customer has the right to refuse damaged goods. Please report any damage to us as soon as possible. PreGel cannot guarantee a credit if the damages are not noted or reported in a timely manner.
- A photograph of the damaged product must be provided. Replacements for whole damaged cases will ship at no additional cost to the customer, or partial credit may be requested. Please keep in mind, if the contents of your package are not punctured, leaking, dented, crushed, or ripped, it is not considered damaged. Cosmetic damage (damage to the packaging) is not considered damage if the contents remain intact.
Replacement OrdersOccasionally, you may receive an item you did not order, or possibly ordered the wrong item. In this event the following terms apply:
- Items that have been received in error must be reported within 10 business days of the receipt of goods. – No Exceptions.
- If you have received an item in error, PreGel will arrange to pick up and ship out the replacement order.
- If the customer orders an incorrect item, the customer is responsible for the return of those items. Please see our return policy.